Arrival & Dismissal
Students are not to be on campus prior to 7:30 a.m. and should be picked up by 3:30 p.m. Supervision is not provided before 7:30 A.M. OR after 3:30 P.M. At the beginning of the school year, please discuss how you expect your child to get home with his/her teacher. If there is a change in your standard routine, please send a note to the teacher. These arrangements must be planned for ahead of time. Students will not be permitted to use school phones regarding changes in transportation. Without a note, students will go home their regular way.
JSA uniforms will no longer be available for purchase through the school.
The uniform shirt design has not changed. Students will receive their uniforms within a week of ordering the items. All uniforms are shipped directly to your address. Sizing samples are available in the JSA office for your convenience. To order JSA uniforms click the button below.
Solid Red and Royal Blue JSA Logo Polo Shirts for Elementary School (K-5)
Solid Black and Maui Blue JSA Logo Polo Shirts for Middle School (6-8)
- Shirts purchased through the School Office.
- Students should button the bottom button on polo shirts.
- White, gray, red or black undershirts may be worn under polo shirts (solid colors, without any design).
- During cold weather, white, gray, red or black long sleeve shirts may be worn under polo shirts (solid colors, without any design).
- Shirts are to be tucked in at all times and belts must be visible. Rolling or flaring of the shirt around the waistline is not allowed.
- Uniform tops must fit appropriately.
Khaki and/or Black Twill Uniform Material (No Denim)
- The khakis should be a tan color, not olive, brown or yellow.
- Plain uniform shorts, pants, capris, skorts or skirts may be worn
- All bottoms must be hemmed- not frayed.
- Appropriate length (Dollar Bill Rule).
- Bottoms are to be worn around the waist. No undergarments should be visible. (No sagging)
- No bibbed overalls, corduroy, nylon, sweats, leggings, jeggings (tight-fitting, stretchy material) or jumpers are allowed.
- If there are belt loops, a plain belt with a standard belt buckle must be worn. Belts should not have any metal studs or oversized belt buckles. Belts should be black, tan, brown, khaki in color with no prints.
- Denim is not allowed to be worn unless prior notification has been given by the school’s Administration.
- Any pullover garment that is worn all day must be approved JSA apparel that has been purchased through the school office.
- New zipped hoodie jackets are available for purchase through the office.
All heavy outer garments (such as coats/jackets/sweaters/cardigans) must have a button, snap, or zipper front. Hoods are permissible but cannot be worn during school hours. These items are only allowed if the weather is below 50 degrees and must be removed once you enter the building. Please write names in all jackets in case a student misplaces one, we may return it.
Other Dress Code Rules:
- Any accessories worn with the school uniform may not distract from the learning environment. Appropriate samples of accessories include no more than 2 bracelets and 1 necklace (worn inside the shirt) and earrings no larger than a quarter.
- Socks must be primarily black, gray or white and worn below the knee.
- Tights may be worn but must be solid black or white.
- Rubber soled shoes must be worn at all times for safety reasons. This includes tennis shoes, loafers, deck shoes, or tie shoes. Boots, high heels, heel sneakers, open toe/heel, or lighted/skate shoes are not allowed.
- No embroidery, patches, laces, stripes, decorative stitching, or shiny/glittery embellishments should be on any clothing.
- No fraying, holes, or tears should appear on any garments.
- Purses must be no larger than 8 ½ inches by 11 inches.
- No other accessories are allowed at school that has not been previously mentioned in the above dress code.
School Spirit Day: Band, Art, Dance, Drama, Chorus, Orchestra, Club, and JSA T-shirts may be worn on Fridays only.
Dollar Bill Rule
To determine the acceptable length for shorts, skorts, and skirts simply hold a dollar bill horizontally between the top of the knee and the bottom of the clothing. This will give you the minimum short, skort, or skirt length that is permissible for your child. Please remember that students grow considerably during the school year. Clothing that fits properly in August may be inappropriate by February.
Administration reserves the right to request a change of clothing for inappropriate dress or to recommend changes on anything deemed distracting to the learning process.
Personal Data Information
Please notify the Office immediately, in writing, if your home, work, or emergency phone numbers have changed. A change of address requires 2 proofs of the new residence, In case of an emergency, we MUST have a current phone number through which you may be contacted.
Bus service is provided for students who live in designated areas. Students who usually ride a bus must bring a note signed by parent/guardian if they are to go home by other means. Unless the teacher receives written notification from the parent/guardian, your child will ride the bus home as usual. Students may get off at a different bus stop with a note from parent and signed by the Principal ONLY if the request is for the student’s regular bus. Requests for students to ride a different bus home with another student must be pre-approved by parent calling the district transportation office for the North Central Area (534-7300).
Students may ride bicycles and scooters to school as long as they practice safety and a helmet is worn, as required by law. Students must “walk” their bikes and scooters on campus. It is strongly recommended that bikes be locked during school hours. Students and parents must assume total responsibility for lost or stolen bicycles. Skateboards and roller blades are not permitted on school grounds or on the bus.
Car Rider Procedures
- Car rider pick-up is located at the front of the school, and cars must line up along 8th street.
- No parking is allowed along the cemetery and at the Winter Haven Recreational and Cultural Center for the purpose of picking up students.
- Parents may not pick up students “on foot” – you MUST be in the car rider line.
- Students are not permitted to walk across the parking lot, even with a parent. The front of the school is the only pick-up location. The teacher parking lot, visitor parking spaces, and grassy area behind the teacher parking lot is not an approved location.
- Parents MUST pull as far forward as possible towards the car in front of them before stopping. This is necessary to keep the line moving as quickly as possible.
- Please do NOT pull out of line until the car in front of you begins to move. This is Important for the safety of our students and the staff members on duty.
- At the start of the school year, car rider lines may be lengthy. After a smooth routine is established, the car rider pick-up takes no more than 15-20 minutes.
- Safety and efficiency are our priorities. Your cooperation is very important.
- Please share this information with any family members who will pick up your student.
- The map below shows how cars should line up and move during the afternoon pick up process.
Thank you as we all work together to keep our students and staff safe.
Absence & Tardy Policy
If a student is not in class at the 8:00 bell he/she will be marked tardy by the teacher. After 8:00 all students need to report to the office to receive a tardy slip. If a student is tardy they must bring a note for it to be excused, otherwise it is unexcused. When a student is absent, the parent/guardian is required to phone the school at 291-5373 and speak to Ms. Martinez on the day of the absence. A note MUST be sent with the student when they return. The note must have the student’s name, date(s) of absence, the specific reason for the absence, and have the signature of the parent/guardian.
August 15, 2015
To: JSA Office,
Please excuse John Smith’s absence on Monday, August 14, 2015. He had a sore throat.
After the 4th unexcused tardy, students will receive a Tardy Notification form.
- 4th Unexcused Tardy mark is a written warning
- 5th Unexcused Tardy is a 2 hour work detail
- 6th Unexcused Tardy is a 4 hour work detail
- 7th Unexcused Tardy is ISS (In School Suspension) and all subsequent Unexcused Tardies will result in an Attendance Contract Violation.